Saturday, September 8, 2007

newsletter

After two weeks of getting our house in order and decorating/arranging our classrooms, we started school on wednesday, august 29! The preschoolers are SO CUTE!!! I've only spent 2 weeks with them and i feel like i could write a book about each of them! they are all so sweet and excited about coming to school! We began with 34 on our roster, but have dwindled down to 29. Some of the kids were just too little, so they are going to try again next year. We are moving one little girl up to Kindergarten next week because she is so far ahead of all the other kids and we may be moving some kids back from Kindergarten that need more help. My aides (Mr. Thony, Mme. Emmanuel, and Mme. Aules) have been working in this class for years so they are AMAZING! They know exactly what to do and when to do it! They help keep order and translate everything Norma and I say into Creole so the kids will understand (at least until they catch on to a few English phrases).

Weggy (yes, like wedgie), the little boy that I sponsor through Sonlight, is in my class. He was retained in preschool at the end of last year to help improve his English so that he will excel in elementary school. He is so precious and LOVES to grab my hand every time I walk past him!

Preschool ends everyday at 10:45. After preschool, I go to pick up a few of the First Graders (Miss Ashley has 36 in her class, so I take some of the students who need a little extra help).

Sunday School has started also. I'm teaching the 1st and 2nd grade sunday school with Miss Kala. Most of the kids I know, either from being in Miss Ashley's first grade class this year or last year. I love to see the kids coming to church. They are always dressed like every sunday is Easter Sunday. All the little girls wear big, poofy dresses and are SO pretty!

I am still looking for a few more people to partner financially with me and Sonlight Ministries. My goal is to raise $1,300 a month, so if you are interested, please let me know. You can also find out more information about donating to Sonlight or sponsoring a child at http://www.sonlightministries.org

To see pictures of my house, my classroom, or my kids go to
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2081003&l=3aeea&id=38312267

Things to pray for:

1. That I will continue to pick up on Creole phrases so I will be able to better communicate with my neighbors, students, etc.

2. Financial support will continue to come in.

3. Health -- a lot of the teachers have been suffering from sinus issues, so please pray that I will stay healthy

4. Unity among the Sonlight staff

No comments: