Sunday, October 21, 2007

sacrifice???

The more time I spend here in Haiti, the more I see exactly why God has called me here. I encounter something new everyday that is heart-breaking, yet inspiring.

Yesterday at a soccer game I met one of the 8th grade girls in Mme. Lenny's class. Her name is Bertine and her family is extremely poor (yes, I know this is Haiti and most people here are poor, but even in Port-de-Paix and even at Sonlight, the contrast between the wealthy students and the poor students is unbelievable). She is a Christian, but her family is not. I learned yesterday from another teacher that sometimes her family refuses to feed her and says "Your God will provide for you." Her situation is heart-breaking, yet so inspiring. She is willing to suffer hunger and the disapproval of her family in order to be faithful to God.

How much do I suffer for my faith? Sure, I moved to Haiti, but in Haiti, all the "white people" are Christians. They know who we are and why we are here. We live in a nice house with electricity, running water, and always have MORE THAN ENOUGH food on our table (and I'm not even counting luxuries like internet and A/C!). Sometimes I feel like, as missionaries, we are put on a pedestal. Everyone thinks we are so wonderful for the sacrifices we are making, when in all actuality, our sacrifices are minimal. Our families and friends love us, support us, and are proud of what we are doing.

What kind of sacrifice am I really making?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! I completely understand and agree with what you are saying. we struggle with that as well. Sometimes I just want to scream "i am really not that great of a person!" But, the Lord knows your heart and He knows you are making sacrifices--and they are all for his Glory! Love you and am praying for you.

ps--internet and A/C?? I think I need to re-negotiate my contract!

Unknown said...

ps--i have NO idea why i am signed on as allilicios--must get that fixed ASAP!

Kim said...

I'm proud of you. I miss you. I love you!

Keep on being his hands and feet to the world.

See you soon!!!!

I finally put up a new post and some pics of resonate on my blog. I have a lack of internet, too!