Sunday, May 18, 2008

We Fly High...Ballin'

I went to my first Haitian basketball game Saturday night. It was quite an experience! First of all, we rarely go out after dark, and if we do, it's only around the corner to Norma's house. So being out at night in PdP was an experience all in itself.

Ashley, Kala, Josh, Lorraine and myself all loaded up on taxis and headed down to the school where the game was being held. When we got off our taxis, I honestly felt like I was in a scene from 8 Mile (you know, mine and Alan's favorite scene when Eminem is ready to battle). Seriously, there were people lined up outside and a ton of people being "bouncers" at the door. We paid our money to get in, and had to fight through a crowd just to get through the door. Once inside, we were greeted by several of our high school students. I wondered if they were embarrassed by all the "whities" that showed up to see them play (Almot swears it's not embarrassing, but I am not sure I believe her!).

I will let you read Ashley's blog (post coming soon!) about all the drama that ensued and us being "cared for" by Mama Maurasse (the sweetest lady in PdP!).

Because of our poor internet connection, I can't add photos to this, so if you would like to see a few of the pictures from our evening, click here. I only added a few pictures and most of them were taken by a 7-year old, so no promises on the quality!!!

No comments: