Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February Newsletter


Life happens best in community...that's what my home church in the United States claims. I truly believe this with my whole heart...but for the longest time, I never realized how true this was. Of course, my community is so important to me. People I can count on to share my joys and sorrows...People that will drop everything to tend to any "need" I might have. But for the longest time, sub-consiously, this was completely an "American" thing. However, over the past few weeks and months, I have come to find this true of life in Haiti.

First, personally, because I dearly miss my community. In America, I was surrounded by so many people that I love, who love me, who are my support and my backbone through life. They make me laugh, they hug me when I cry, they are there to just hang out and do life with me. People that I could count on to do everything and do nothing...all at the same time.

But I have finally seen this concept is not an "American" thing. It is a "human" thing. People in Haiti are in constant communication with each other. Everyone speaks to each other on the streets. Haitian people ALWAYS ask how you are and how your family is. And it is quite possible that I know as many Haitians that have cell phones as I know Americans that have them. They don't have electricity, but they have cell phones (you should see what a funny sight it is on Sunday mornings at church--EVERY SINGLE electrical outlet is in use, charging someone's phone). Seriously...people living in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere have cell phones.

It is just more proof that communication and community is more important that other material things that I sometimes consider necessities.

Life happens best in community.



Teaching Preschool
I think the best part about teaching preschool is that I get to teach my kids whatever I want. I do have books and curriculum that I go by, but other than teaching them the alphabet, colors, numbers, etc. I get to teach them anything else I want. This semester, they have learned (or are learning) "awesome" and "peace out." Today I started teaching them to say "cheese" when someone was taking their picture. But the funniest thing I have tried to teach my kids is smiling! Most Haitians don't smile for pictures, so sometimes it can be hard to get my kids to smile when I am snapping shots of them! Most of them understand now, but some still have a little trouble. Check out Clyde's and Alai's smiles:


RETREAT

We had our ladies' retreat at Cap-Haitien this month. It was such a nice time to relax and rejuvenate! It was really fun to get to know some of the other ladies a little better. And yes, my nerdiness came out on the day trip that Ashley, Kala, and Allison and I took to the historic Citadelle and Sans-Souci Palace. I won't bother you with all the details of that, but it was AMAZING!! (if you are a nerd like me and enjoy history, I would love to share more about it!).

For more pictures from our trip, check out mine and Ashley's (because Ashley takes AMAZING pictures) facebook links:
Mine -- http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2100165&l=78378&id=38312267
Ashley's -- http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11707&l=0fb29&id=500539845


Answered Prayers


Thank you for all the prayers about our church building because we are FINALLY building!!! Just as a quick reminder, the mayor came out at the beginning of the school year and told us we weren't allowed to build anymore...eventually it came out that he wanted to bargain with us to do/buy some things for the city. But we finally got approved by a judge (who apparently is higher than the mayor) and we have been building for a couple weeks! This is such an answer to prayer with all the groups that will be coming in this spring! Hopefully with their help, we will progress and get a little closer to a finished SonCenter!!!

Also, you have heard many stories about Emilien over the past year. He is 14 years old and works with John at the school doing construction and maintenance. He is absolutely one of the sweetest boys I have ever met.

John had the privilege of baptizing Emilien a few weeks ago! He is such an amazing boy who is going to do amazing things in Haiti!

2 comments:

ecasimir said...

Cady, I am so glad I have found your blog (and Ashley and April's.) I have loved reading about your experiences. It makes me feel a little closer to Haiti. I can not wait to be able to spend a week down there at the school and get to know you girls better. Looking forward to it. See you in about a month!

Erin Tulenko

Anonymous said...

On the way to Cap-Haitian, did you pretend to be a tour guide, pointing out each town as you drove through and one interesting fact about each?